project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
18 Dec 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #21
Apocalypse89

Default Re: Will PR ever have 128 players mandatory?

As much as I enjoy playing on SISU, I would disagree with every server having 128 players. As others have mentioned, not every server operator can afford the machine needed for such a player count, and I imagine that not everyone likes 128-player battles, and even those that do(such as myself) don't want them all the time. SLs especially probably don't want to deal with the challenge of managing a 12-man squad every game.

I think I would support disabling VOIP and requiring PR Mumble 1.0 for every server though, at least in a future release where Mumble 1.0 comes with PR. It's kind of annoying constantly wondering if I should use Squad Chat or the in-game VOIP to talk to my entire squad, or if the guy next to me is capable of hearing my Local Chat. I think it would benefit the game if the Devs choose a single voice comm system and stick with it.
Apocalypse89 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #22
LieutenantNessie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingy View Post
Personally I hate the 128 server, never actually had a good game there yet. The squads are way too big making them difficult to manage and achieve goals with, the amount of teamwork for me at least is some of the worst I've ever seen although I've heard the organised events are much better. I miss the social aspect of the game where you get to know your 5 squad mates, have a laugh and work together well, which has almost never happened to me on the 128 server.

So yeah if 128 were mandatory I think I'd stop playing PR. If we really were to go for a higher player count on each server I think 96 a side or 84 as mentioned earlier is a better starting point

+1
Imo 64 player servers have 0 teamwork compared to Sisu's, you should try it more often
LieutenantNessie is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:26 PM   #23
Republic_Commando

The 128 servers are a great time, and while being an infantry SL for a 12 man squad is hard it's very rewarding when everyone works together. The coordination between squads is much better than a 64 (mumble), but intersquad teamwork tends to suffer a bit. I wouldn't mind one mumble only, 128 server 24/7.

]CIA[ RC007
http://ciagaming.org/
Republic_Commando is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #24
Murphy

128 is great fun but the mumble seems to be buggy letting me only hear my squaddies, while the rest of the server breaks up so bad I can barely pick a word out. I think in a bit more time once the kinks are worked out the 128 servers will be much more enjoyable, and as it stands I believe very few server boxes could handle the workload so I figure we won't see many more server with that capacity (although it wouldn't be bad if the North American players had one closer).

Murphy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #25
PricelineNegotiator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLODDITHANLEY View Post
On most 128 games I play squads are everywhere with multi assets in them, my mumble seems overloaded and I can't hear well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander[nl] View Post
128 players might work on the 4x4km maps like Kashan, but its gameplay kind of fails on the smaller maps like Muttrah. With that much players in such a small area, the gameplay goes down a lot because it becomes too chaotic for proper squad management.
I share this opinion too. As a past admin on the 128, I felt that the gameplay was almost always chaotic and one team ended up getting smashed. And when there are 64 people on one team, one squad is not likely to change the inevitable outcome. However, there were exceptions to this where the gameplay was akin to TacticalGamer. Plus with that many people on a server, the drama increases SO much, this is probably due to the fact that so many Europeans acted like spoiled brats. 128 wasn't worth the mental strain to worry about what squad X was doing in grid Z.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander[nl] View Post
Quite awesome nontheless because of the massive CQC firefights, it's not something I (and very likely most of the other players) would want to play every day.
Playing on Tad Sae was probably my favorite 128 moment.

However, with all that being said, I feel that the 128 represents a great resource to us for good games. Soppa and Wicca have both done a lot in terms of optimizing the gameplay and teamwork. It would be nothing without them.
Last edited by PricelineNegotiator; 01-29-2012 at 04:49 PM..
Old 01-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #26
xGHOST11x

If it will never be mandatory, can we atleast have two? One in Europe and one in the US? I love playing on the 128, but its lags so bad for me(being in the US). I would love for that to happen.
xGHOST11x is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:37 AM   #27
illidur
Thumbs down Re: Will PR ever have 128 players mandatory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudd View Post
128 will not be mandatory, it requires serious server hardware anyway so only the better servers will be able to actually run it no matter what anyone says
i say if soppa is greedy he can play in his 128 server alone. i wouldn't play there for my dignity. if he was a real contributor he would have made it public so other servers can use it.

but if its the devs are deciding not to release it, why is there still a "test" server

theres no usa server for example and this isn't about hardware.
illidur is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:45 AM   #28
Brainlaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by illidur View Post
i say if soppa is greedy he can play in his 128 server alone. i wouldn't play there for my dignity. if he was a real contributor he would have made it public so other servers can use it.

but if its the devs are deciding not to release it, why is there still a "test" server

theres no usa server for example and this isn't about hardware.
As respective member of the PR team and thus also under their management it isn't Soppa's "selfishness and greed" restraining the code from public release but the decision of the whole development team. The PR team also regulated the server run time/down time and FYI testing is still going on day after day.

So how about you gather some more information before you start spitting your BS all over the forums.

It's their decision, I don't share it but I won't stop them to strive for perfection (like in 0.9 and 0.92 with the ATs and UAVs trollz) and as PR player I also respect it.

On a side note: 2 servers are more than enough, one for Europe and one for the States.
Brainlaag is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #29
torenico

Send a message via MSN to torenico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainlaag View Post
On a side note: 2 servers are more than enough, one for Europe and one for the States.
How about a server in Asia or Australia/New Zealand? theres a quite large playerbase there, and it would be unfair if they get to play with 270ms on 128 players servers, no?

http://s905.photobucket.com/user/raziel1082/media/mareth.jpg.html[/IMG]
torenico is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #30
spiked_rye

Quote:
Originally Posted by torenico View Post
How about a server in Asia or Australia/New Zealand? theres a quite large playerbase there, and it would be unfair if they get to play with 270ms on 128 players servers, no?
I'm sure when the devs have happy with 128 they'll release it to the community properly, and then it'll be up to individual clans to form consortiums to run a 128 server in each major continent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoZo_135 View Post
As far as I know, Soppa made 128 a reality and the Devs just allowed him to implement it into the game. But I think that there should be one, maximum two, servers that run with 128 players. Reason being that if every server had 64+ players, almost none would be filled up and two or three servers would just linger around the 70-80 player mark.
I don't see why people are concerned about a 128 player server not being full though. At the times I play at there are usually 3 64p servers full to the brim (minus reserve slots), and anywhere between 3~6 that have a worthwhile ammount of players. However, the 128 player maps AFAIK just have more trans vehicles and a few other differences (squad size, vehicle passenger limits etc), so a half full 128 player server would play close to what a full full 64 server would play like. IF anything I think this would mean greater selection because half the time I can't get into the server I want to because its full :P
spiked_rye is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
128, mandatory, players